Let’s not underestimate that coffee mug sized filter hiding within your engine’s infrastructure.
It’s the Oil Filter and it’s big league!
The health and longevity of those intricate car engine components are dependent on a substantial amount of top notch oil lubricating them, so your four-wheeled friend’s circulation can keep on pumping for miles to come!
All moving parts of a car’s engine need lubrication from oil that is clean, so the oil filter’s function is to cleanse and sift through the oil to exclude any abrasive contaminants that can damage the fine surface of the complex engine parts. If the fragments end up reaching the oil sump, a grinding paste will form that could damage the bearings and precision in the engine. This would cost more the than the price of a coffee to rectify!
The principle of Filtration Efficiency/Particle Size Retention is a measurement of how well the construction of the filter can keep hold of varying-sized fragments. The outer metal can which houses the filter material (made from synthetic fibre), has a sealing gasket that is tightly held against the engine’s mating surface. The base plate of the can holds the gasket which has holes just inside, where then central hole is threaded to mate with the oil filer assembly on the engine block. The oil pump then transports the oil through the holes of the filter in the perimeter of the base plate.
There are two simple designs of oil filter (‘spin-on’ filter and ‘cartridge’ type), that are not compatible with each other, but have a range of different shapes and sizes.
Here is a list of factors that clearly indicates an under-performing oil filter, all of which will need addressing:
• Your car will not accelerate as expected even though you will hear the engine run, but it will feel like something is amiss
• The sign of a clogged oil filter will be indicated through sputtering as the filter will not be transferring oil as it should
• If you hear metallic sounds (not the sounds of a heavy metal band), it is caused by metal touching metal through the lack of oil in the engine, so will need immediate attention!
• A drop of pressure which is indicated on your car’s dashboard will reflect an issue
• A dirty exhaust with the smell of burning oil is a definite sign of a clogged oil filter.
So, any of these issues will need addressing as soon as possible, so you will be able to continue looking slick!
Ultimate Styling supply replacement oil filters made to the manufacturer’s original specification.